Tuesday 17 January 2012

Frankenduping...sorta

When I first saw Deborah Lipmann Glitter in the Air I wasn't that impressed. The glitter was sparse, it was sheer and I just wasn't all that keen. But then Revlon starts duping them like a Chinese sweat shop and my interest is perked... I still don't rate the DL but Revlon's version, Whimsical, I want. Have Revlon released it here in the UK? Have you ever seen me in a bikini? The answer to both of these is no. And apparently Whimsical is getting hard to find in the US too. So I thought I'd cut out the middle man and have a go at making Whimsical myself! I wasn't entirely successful, but what I managed is still pretty... I used around a third of a bottle of a pretty glitter I got in Claires - round/hex pink, blue and red glitter and smaller silver glitter in a clear base. I poured about a third of the bottle into an old topcoat bottle and added a glug of a cheap clear polish, then a few drops of Barry M Blueberry Ice Cream and some white. Here's 3 coats of the result:


I also made a pink version, kind of a cross between Revlon Starry Pink (another one they didn't bring to the UK...grrr) and Lipmann's Candy Shop:


Now while I LOVE my Whimsical franken (which I have named Capricious) I still want a real Whimsical. Time to replace Facets of Fuchsia on your concessions PLEASE Revlon!

Have you ever tried to dupe a polish?

Hx
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job! Both of your frankens look like an exact match! I have whimsical, but was disappointed with it. It's pretty...thin and sparse. I had to use several coats over a light blue base. I love the name you gave it..Capricious. Reminds me of "capricious youth" I think that's from Mall Rats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice effort! I've never seen whimsical yet over here in Australia (and trust me I've been looking!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi darling! Nice blog!
    If you want, follow me and I'll follow you back!

    kisses

    www.coffebreakblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love both of your frankens!! amazing:]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! I like your version better than Whimsical! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your franken looks better than Whimsical too! it's happier! Whimsical can look a little, sad, pale, dull. good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good enough to me. Shame it isn't coming to the UK though :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a good job! I want it as bad as I want Whimsical :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh love both of these you made! I saw that polish in Claire's and almost picked it up but then thought do I need another glitter top coat? May have to make a purchase and do some mixing myself! :D xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them all :) I'll do my best to answer any questions, but if you just can't wait feel free to contact me via email or Twitter!